domingo, 10 de agosto de 2014

#453

A makhtesh, the Makhtesh Ramon in the Israeli Negev desert, was Ole's challenge, which, in my first thoughts, should be an African one. Well, it wasn't but ... lucky me, was right next door :)

After a GE colour problem, I present a challenge with some peculiar colours (hope this one has the right colours for everyone)
Here it is:


So, your goal is to find out the exact location and the geology of this place and, if you are the first, you can have the honor of presenting the next WoGE. No Schott's Rule! Rules, tips and previous WoGEs are collected by Felix on his blog and a KML file is available with all WoGEs.

2 comentários:

  1. 11° 55′ 0″ N, 37° 16′ 0″ E, Dek Island in Lake Tana, Ethiopia.

    Lake Tana is one of the "sources of the Nile", over a natural dam formed by volcanic activity. It sits on a basaltic plateau, so I would assume that Dek is mostly basaltic, too.

    I think the lake sits in a depresion in the basalt caused by a similar depression in the sediments below the basalt; I will see if I can find something more about the geology tomorrow.

    I have to admit I found it by pure luck - I was deleting some markers I had decided not to use, my GE was getting cluttered. One of them happened to be nearby, so close that I decided to have a look at the largest island in the Tana Lake!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. http://overburdenblog.blogspot.no/2014/08/woge-454.html is up, and now I will take the weekend off. :)

    ResponderEliminar